Becoming certified with a GFSI scheme is an impressive accomplishment. Gathering the required documentation alone can be daunting.
If your company is like a lot of food manufacturing companies out there, you probably store all documentation in filing cabinets or a shared drive. Static systems make it near impossible to search for, analyze, and maintain required information for continued auditing against your GFSI scheme.
One of the leading GFSI schemes is FSSC 22000. Jiffy Mix (Chelsea Milling Co.) Quality Assurance Director Bill Besson shares how TraceGains eased compliance with FSSC 22000.
Examples of GFSI scheme FSSC 22000 requirements
- The CoA will cover incoming materials companies must inspect and test.
- Companies must check delivery vehicles to verify the quality and safety of materials.
- Assess and monitor supplier performance.
Challenges in FSSC 22000 certification
- Manually intensive and error-prone process to check supplier-provided data (each attribute for each ingredient lot on each incoming shipment) against ingredient specifications. Besson adds that they had a person down at receiving checking CoAs to make sure the lot was in spec. “I’ve been to companies where they pay a person to sit in a room, and all they do is check CoAs,” Besson said.
- There can be a myriad of supplier-provided CoA formats (PDF, Excel, Word, faxes, etc.) from different vendors.
- Manual records make for an intensive process to retrieve documents and data, collect up-to-date supplier information, and to assess suppliers’ ability to meet compliance requirements.
Automating FSSC 22000 tasks with TraceGains
- TraceGains runs 24/7, automatically checking CoAs as soon as suppliers submit them. Whether a CoA comes in at noon or midnight, it doesn’t matter. The system checks it.
- TraceGains automatically checks all CoAs for compliance and specifications.
- The system won’t accept loads without an approved CoA.
- Effortlessly lookup past CoA data and truck inspections. Instead of sifting through filing cabinets for specific documents, search the system by lot or shipment numbers to find what you’re looking for easily.
- The system sends automatic notifications to suppliers that request updated critical documents.
Download our checklist, “GFSI Compliance: Getting Started With FSSC 22000” here.